Novak Djokovic donned the suit of the top manager of the ATP Players Council and openly opined in an interview with the Serbian sports daily Sportski zurnal about the return to professional activity.
He indicated that “many tennis players do not know whether to train on clay or on hard courts” and considered that “more will be known before July 15, the deadline for the ATP to decide on the competitions of its calendar, Washington, Cincinnati, the European tournaments. “
In his opinion, much will depend on the situation of the connections between Europe and the United States. “There is a lot of uncertainty,” he said.
The tennis player celebrated “the efforts throughout the world, especially in the United States and in Europe, so that the tournaments are held despite the great health, economic and security crisis,” but “everything has its limits.”
His plan, in principle, is to play Roland Garros, as well as the tournaments in Madrid and Rome.
Referring to the new points system for the classification of players and the implementation of a ranking from last March 2019 to December 2020, announced by the ATP, he indicated that there were many debates but that it is the most correct thing for everyone. “It is the best option at this time first of all because it protects players who do not want to expose themselves to the risk of traveling and getting infected in the US or in other tournaments,” he said.
“Some tennis players will not play until the end of the year and thus the list protects them, their results from last year remain as they are, they do not lose points. On the other hand, the tennis players who play will have the opportunity to earn points. The ATP protects to the players but offers others the opportunity to earn new points. It is useful for both groups of tennis players, “he said.