The Isle of Strife, on the Isle of Yas in Abu Dhabi, was the setting where the UFC placed the big fight between Kamaru Usman and Jorge Masvidal. The Nigerian prevailed by decision of the judges, after receiving in his favor the cards of 50-45, 50-45 and 49-46. The challenger, who was called at the last minute to replace Gilbert Burns, after testing positive for coronavirus, noted the lack of specific preparation that the African did have, being successful with his second defense.
The combat left moments of true tension and some very hard blows, such as the elbow that he gave him Usman in the face of Masvidal mediated combat. In the first round, Jorge looked for the power hits and hooks to punish Kamaru. The Peruvian-rooted fighter knew that the more time passed, the wear and tear was going to make it worse for him, since he didn’t have a five-round focused camp. In this way, he harmed himself.
Usman he appealed to his fight and took him against bars, always looking for fencing, he elbowed the face of Masvidal. The rounds passed and the Nigerian champion grew stronger in combat. The wear of George it became evident, but ‘Gamebred’ managed to get rid of its rival’s dominant position on the ground at times. In the end, Kamaru He took the victory by unanimous decision and retained the title, displaying tremendous technique once again.
“He is one of the most difficult men to take the fight six days in advance, everyone is ready. I had to change my mentality (…) He is a great fighter, because he received blows and kept going. I knew it was difficult, I know he is coming to fight, but I am at a higher level ”, was what the Nigerian champion of UFC, who increased his streak to 12-0, looking really unstoppable. To this day, he finds no rival to finish him in the cage.
– DAZN Spain (@DAZN_ES) July 12, 2020
UFC 251 Results
- Welterweight: Kamaru Usman defeated Jorge Masvidal and retained the welterweight title.
- Featherweight: Alexander Volkanovski defeated Max Holloway and retained the featherweight title.
- Bantamweight: Petr Yan defeated José Aldo by technical knockout and won the bantamweight title.
- Women’s Straw Weight: Rose Namajunas defeated Jessica Andrade by split decision.
- Female Flyweight: Amanda Ribas defeated Paige VanZant by submission.
- Light Heavyweight: Jiří Procházka defeated Volkan Oezdemir by knockout.
- Welterweight: Muslim Salikhov defeated Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos by split decision.
- Featherweight: Danny Henry defeated Makwan Amirkhani by submission.
- Lightweight: Leonardo Santos defeated Roman Bogatov by unanimous decision.
- Heavyweight: Marcin Tybura defeated Maxim Grishin by unanimous decision.
- Flyweight: Raulian Paiva defeated Zhalgas Zhumagulov by unanimous decision.
- Women’s Bantamweight: Karol Rosa defeated Vanessa Melo by unanimous decision.
- Bantamweight: Davey Grant defeated Martin Day by knockout by unanimous decision.