It’s official. There will be no tennis in China in 2020. This time, it was the ATP that made the decision official by a statement, endorsing what was said by the General Administration of Sport (government agency responsible for sports in the Asian country).
It had already announced through an official statement that it will not host international sports events until 2021, so, of course, tennis is once again one of the most affected.
In this way, the men’s circuit, which had not yet announced the entire full schedule, will lose four tournaments: two ATP 250 (Chengdu and Zhuhai), one ATP 500 (Beijing) and one Masters 1000 (Shanghai).
WTA had already made the announcement that included the Shenhzen WTA Finals (November 8-15), which brings together the eight best tennis players of the year, and the WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai (November 17-22). In addition, the WTA, which has already canceled some tournaments in China previously, will also have to cancel a Premier Mandatory (Beijing), two Internationals (Nanchang and Guangzhou), a Premier 5 (Wuhan) and a Premier (Zhengzhou).
“Our focus throughout this pandemic has always been to follow local guidance when organizing events. We respect the Chinese government’s decision to do what is best for the country in response to the unprecedented global situation, “said Andrea Gaudenzi, president of the ATP.” It is with great regret that we announce that ATP tournaments will not be played in China this year. Important events have been the cornerstone of the circuit’s presence in Asia. “
ATP continues to work on a revised schedule for the final section of the 2020 season, up to the ATP Finals in November. A new update is expected in the next two weeks on a tentative schedule of events.