The German will have a new chance with Racing Point after his frustrated return attempt in the previous race, where he could not even start because the Racing Point car broke before the start.
Nico Hulkenberg will have another chance at Formula 1 at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after Sergio Perez again tested positive for coronavirus. Racing Point called Hulkenberg as a late replacement last week after Perez contracted COVID-19, but the German failed to run at Silverstone.
Pérez completed a week of quarantine and could have returned to the wheel this weekend if a new test was negative, but unfortunately for the Mexican virus is still in his body and can not be part of the race.
Racing Point revealed on Friday that Perez is “physically well and recovering” and will continue to follow the sanitation protocol. That being the case, Hulkenberg will have another chance as he was unable to go to the grill last Sunday due to a clutch bolt issue with his car.
“I am excited to get back on track with the team at Silverstone,” said the German. “Last weekend was a true step into the unknown after being away from the team for a few years, and driving a car that I had never driven before.”
“I learned a lot last week about the RP20, and I am ready to apply my experiences this weekend. Running on the same track again makes things a little easier and the team has done a great job helping me get a better pace. “said Hulk, who came to test in practice last weekend and even qualified.
“I think we can fight for the points this weekend, which is definitely my goal. I also want to wish Checo [Pérez] the best in his recovery, “said the German.
Photo: Mark Sutton / Pool via Getty Images