Between Friday and Saturday, South Africa would have to confirm your final decision about your participation in the Rugby Championship to be played in Australia in November Y December.
According to local media, opinions are divided. The positive reasons for participating would not be many more than those that justify the rejection of the tournament.
A few days ago, Springboks captain Siya Kolisi said: “We are far from the physical preparation we need to prepare for a game.”
On the other hand, the economic part is the main reason why the decision would be to participate in the Rugby Championship.
The reasons for playing the Rugby Championship:
– South Africa had to cut its budget a lot and all its matches scheduled for 2020 were suspended. Australia confirmed that the proceeds from the Rugby Championship will be shared.
– Up to 46 players can be chosen to make up the squad, so Nienaber and Erasmus would have many rotation options to cushion physical fatigue.
– The tour against the British & Irish Lions in 2021. If they do not play this tournament, they would arrive at it without filming and that would not be positive.
The reasons for not playing the Rugby Championship:
– Nienaber and Erasmus believe that players need at least 500 minutes to face a competition of the magnitude of the Rugby Championship.
– The humiliation that a win by New Zealand and Australia can generate, since those two selected have been filming for a few months.