Marseille vs. Manchester City – Match Report – October 27, 2020

Marseille vs.  Manchester City - Match Report - October 27, 2020

(EFE) – Manchester City signed their second victory in as many days of the UEFA Champions League group stage by beating Marseille 3-0 at the Velodrome stadium, in a great match by Belgian Kevin De Bruyne .

Pep Guardiola’s team showed in Europe the solvency that it is not having in its championship this season and showed great superiority against a Marseille that on its return to the top European competition counts its matches due to losses, which greatly complicates its continuity.

After having lost on the first day against Olympiacos, André Villas-Boas’s team made it clear that they lack quality in this competition, despite the fact that in their championship they remain in a comfortable fourth position just three points behind Paris Saint-Germain .

The game was a monologue by City, which found the balm to its irregular start to the English championship, in which it is located in 13th place.

Guardiola’s team jumped overwhelmingly, confiscating the ball from the locals and imposing a rhythm and high pressure that cornered the Villas-Boas team, forced to reduce the danger.

With three men behind, Marseille was outmatched, unable to snatch the ball from City and go out on the counter attack, which placed the game in the script that the Spanish coach likes the most.

It took 18 minutes for the English team to open the Marseille can. He did it on a mistake by Rongier, who handed the ball to De Bruyne, who with plenty of space had enough time to raise his head and find Ferrán López, who only had to shoot Mandanda’s goal.

It was the second goal in the Champions League for the player signed to Valencia, after which he scored in the first match against Porto.

The goal ended up upsetting a Marseille that could not find a way to stop the dominance of the visiting team, which with very high pressure left the French without oxygen.

The pressure of Torres allowed 35 minutes to recover a ball in the Marseille area that Oleksandr Zinchenko shot slightly wide.

After the break, Vilas-Boas made some adjustments and Olympique managed to shake off City’s dominance. The ball circulated farther from their area and the English, who continued with the monopoly of possession, found it more difficult to create danger.

Tauvin tried to lead the Marseilles response with a long shot, but it was hardly a tepid reaction. Marseille advanced their lines and left more space behind the back that generated some occasion in favor of City.

The second goal came on a boarding on the left of Foden, who crossed for Sterling to finish with his head and his rejection, after touching Torres, ended in Gündogan’s left foot, which sent him to the net.

Sterling rounded the score in the 81st minute after taking advantage of De Bruyne’s second assist of the game, before being substituted.

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
confused confused
fail fail
fun fun
geeky geeky
love love
lol lol
omg omg
win win