With the stellar between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje, the UFC 254 gave one of the best events of the year. The show, which took place on Abu Dhabi’s Yas Island, ended with impressive fighting, prompting doctors to suspend some for several months. Clearly others had shorter performances or were not damaged, so they should not stop the action. Anyway, this was in the background, knowing that the Russian will never fight again.
This being the case, it should be noted that this is always done to give due care to the fighters, who are the protagonists of the fights. Some suffered considerable damage this Saturday on “the island of struggle”, prompting doctors to give them medical suspensions of up to 180 days, or six months in other words. This means that they are several months out of the Octagon, which is a long time for those who make a living from Mixed Martial Arts.
In the most important of the UFC 254, Khabib Nurmagomedov once again defended his belt and was a trend on social networks. The Russian put Justin Gaethje to sleep with a huge submission in the second round, proved to be the best fighter in history and exploded in tears. The champion lost his father and lifelong coach a few months ago to the COVID-19 coronavirus. Therefore, he could not hold back the tears and emotions overcame him.
Among other great performances, Joel Álvarez, Tai Tuivasa, Lauren Murphy, Miranda Maverick, Magomed Ankalaev and Robert Whittaker also stood out. Each of them did their job to the best of their ability and went home with very good earnings. This is not to say that the losers did it wrong, on the contrary, they also gave away gigantic battles in the most important cage in the world.
UFC 254 Results
Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) (second round submission win) vs. Justin Gaethje (c).
Robert Whittaker (unanimous decision win) vs. Jared Cannonier.
Alexander Volkov (first round TKO victory) vs. Walt Harris.
Jacob Malkoun vs. Phillip Hawes (victory by knockout in just 18 seconds).
Lauren Murphy (second round submission win) vs. Liliya Shakirova.
Magomed Ankalaev (first round knockout win) vs. Ion Cutelaba.
Stefan Struve vs. Tai Tuivasa (victory by knockout in the first round).
Nathaniel Wood vs. Casey Kenney (unanimous decision win).
Alex Oliveira vs. Shavkat Rakhmonov (first round submission win)
Da-Un Jung vs. Sam Alvey. (tie).
Liana Jojua vs. Miranda Maverick (victory by knockout in the first round).
Joel Alvarez (first round submission win) vs. Alexander Yakovlev.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Justin Gaethje: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Robert Whittaker: 7 days of mandatory rest.
- Jared Cannonier: 180 days unless cleared by physician for left wrist. Minimum suspension for 30 days with 21 days no contact.
- Alexander Volkov: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Walt Harris: 30 days by TKO, 21 days without contact.
- Phil Hawes: 7 days of mandatory rest.
- Jacob Malkoun: 60 days by KO, 45 days without contact.
- Lauren Murphy: 7 days of mandatory rest.
- Liliya Shakirova: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Magomed Ankalaev: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Ion Cutelaba: 45 days by TKO, 30 days without contact.
- Tai Tuivasa: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Stefan Struve: 45 days for KO, 30 days no contact.
- Casey Kenney: 30 days per hard fight, 21 days no contact.
- Nathaniel Wood: 180 days unless authorized by a right hand physician. Minimum suspension for 30 days with 21 days no contact.
- Shavkat Rakhmonov: 7 days of mandatory rest.
- Alex Oliveira: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Da Un Jung: 7 days of compulsory rest.
- Sam Alvey: 30 days, 21 days no contact.
- Miranda Maverick: 7 days of mandatory rest.
- Liana Jojua: 180 days unless approved by ENT. Minimum suspension for 60 days with 45 days no contact.
- Joel Alvarez: 7 days of mandatory rest.
- Alexander Yakovlev: 7 days of compulsory rest.