In the absence of the success or luck of players who always top the list of Argentine top scorers in Europe as Lionel Messi, Sergio “Kun” Agüero, Mauro Icardi or Lautaro Martínez, above them appears the figures of Ezequiel Ponce, who with six goals in Russia is the player from his country that has celebrated the most in a league on the continent.
In the ranks of Spartak Moscow, the former Newell’s is confirming at 23 that he can become an interesting option for the future for coach Lionel Scaloni. In Russia, he is the second top scorer in the competition only behind the Ecuadorian Christian Noboa, who with seven hits lives a second youth in Sochi.
Throughout eleven games, Ponce averages one goal every 125 minutes and his victims, Akhmat Grozny, Ufa, CSKA Moscow, Zenit, Khimki and Krasnodar have suffered from the hunger of a player who, for now, has scored more goals than other footballers with more names who play for Europe.
MESSI, AGÜERO AND ICARDI, IN LOW HOURS
The most striking case is that of Messi, who seems stuck in Barcelona. Although in the Champions League his numbers are at a good pace after scoring against Juventus and Ferencvaros, in LaLiga he has only been able to celebrate a goal, the one he did to Villarreal on September 27. However, all his goals have been from the penalty spot. He has not yet scored a play.
The “Kun” Agüero is not doing better, who an injury has prevented him from participating in Manchester City. He has barely been able to play three games, in which he scored a goal against Porto in the Champions League. In the Premier League he has only added 109 minutes and during the duel against West Ham he was injured again. You will have to wait to improve your numbers.
In a similar situation is Mauro Icardi, who started the season out of the Paris Saint-Germain squad and when he started playing from the third official match of his team, he barely doubled against Reims before injuring his knee. In addition, it seems that Moise Kean has taken advantage of his absence to claim his position based on goals.
Things are better for Lautaro Martínez at Inter. He has accumulated three goals in the Italian League and for the moment his injuries are respected. The course started strong with consecutive hits against Fiorentina, Benevento and Lazio. He then scored with Argentina against Bolivia and, since then, has not seen a goal in the last five games in which he has participated
SIMEONE AND ALARIO, ALTERNATIVES TO PONCE
There are more names that deserve to be highlighted. Not only Ponce draws attention. In Italy, Giovanni Simeone, for Cagliari, and in Germany, Lucas Alario, in the ranks of Bayer Leverkusen, they have scored five goals in their respective leagues.
Simeone is on the right track to surpass his best all-time numbers. The goal of reaching fifteen goals in official matches that he scored in the 2017/18 season for Genoa and Fiorentina is not crazy. With a long season ahead, he has time.
And at Bayer Leverkusen, Alario, in addition to accumulating five goals in the Bundesliga, adds another two: one in the Europa League and another in the German Cup. In total, seven goals, the Argentine who has scored the most in official matches, but still surpassed by Ponce in league duels.
Also on the list is Alejandro “Papu” Gómez, a game-creating and scoring machine at Atalanta. In Italy he accumulates four goals, the same as the promise of Osijek from Croatia Ramón Miérez (23 years old), Emmanuel Ledesma at SJK from Finland and Jerónimo Barrelas at Asteras Tripoli from Greece.
The drought of Argentine players who play in Spain is striking. Apart from Messi, they have only managed to score a goal Ángel Correa at Atlético, Facundo Roncaglia and Jonathan Calleri at Osasuna, Lucas Boyé at Elche and Esteban Burgos at Eibar.
It seems that the times in which Messi led the table of top scorers or in which names such as “Piojo” López, Gonzalo Higuaín, Javier Saviola, Gabi Amato or Diego Milito appeared among the best not long ago, are far behind.
Messi’s drought together with that of Lucas Ocampos, who last season scored 17 goals in all competitions and this season has barely celebrated a goal in the European Super Cup, has meant that the Argentine goal at the moment does not rank very high in Spain. The price has risen in other leagues, such as the Russian, the German and the Italian. In them, Ponce, Alario and Simeone are the best Argentine scorers in Europe.
LIST OF ARGENTINE SCORERS IN THE EUROPEAN LEAGUES:
– With 6 goals: Ezequiel Ponce (Spartak Moscow / Russia).
– With 5 goals: Lucas Alario (Leverkusen / Germany), Giovanni Simeone (Cagliari / Italy).
– With 4 goals: “Papu” Gómez (Atalanta / Italy), Ramón Miérez (Osijek / Croatia), Emmanuel Ledesma (SJK / Finland), Jerónimo Barrelas (Asteras Tripoli / Greece).
– With 3 goals: Lautaro Martínez (Inter / Italy).
– With 2 goals: Mauro Icardi (Paris Saint-Germain / France), Nicolás Gorobsov (Suduva / Bulgaria), Lisandro Martínez (Ajax / Netherlands), Juan Pablo Passaglia (Poli Iasi / Romania)
– With 1 goal: Ángel Correa (Atlético de Madrid / Spain), Facundo Roncaglia and Jonathan Calleri (Osasuna / Spain), Lucas Boyé (Elche / Spain), Esteban Burgos (Eibar / Spain), Lionel Messi (Barcelona / Spain), Diego Klimowicz and Nicolás González (Stuttgart / Germany), Manuel Lanzini (West Ham / England), Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton / England), Ángel Di María (Paris Saint-Germain / France), Leonardo Balerdi (Marseille / France), Facundo Medina (Lens / France), Rodrigo Palacio (Bologna / Italy), Rodrigo De Paul and Ignacio Pussetto (Udinese / Italy), Facundo Colidio and Santiago Colombatto (St. Truiden / Belgium), Felipe Avenatti (Standard Lieja / Belgium), Adrián Spörle (Dundee / Scotland), Facundo Bertoglio and Daniel Mancini (Aris / Greece), Julián Bartolo (Volos / Greece), Franco Mazurek (Panetolikos / Greece), Miguel Mellado and Juan Neira (OFI Crete / Greece), Maximiliano Romero (PSV Eindhoven / Netherlands), Marcos Senesi (Feyenoord / Netherlands), Luciano Vietto (Sporting / Portugal), Brian Mansilla (Farense / Portugal), Carlos Valenzuela (Famalicao / Portugal), Juan Bautista (Academica Clinceni / Romania) and Sebastián Driussi (Zénit / Russia).