Dominic Thiem, No. 3 in the world, expressed his sadness over the terrorist attack last Monday in Vienna, in which five people died, while announcing that he is recovered from a foot injury and will travel to London on Wednesday to participate in the ATP Finals.
“It is not a quiet autumn, the last two weeks have been very difficult,” Thiem wrote on his official website. “After the quarter-final elimination of the tournament at home, at the Stadthalle in Vienna, I healed the injury to the sole of my foot. Two or three days off, then I started preparing for the end of the season at the Arena London O2, “he said.
Thiem was “very, very sad” about the murderous attack of a 20-year-old sympathizer of the jihadist group Islamic State on November 2 in the center of Vienna, the first terrorist attack that Austria has experienced in the last 35 years. Last was “a week in which thousands of thoughts went through my head,” he revealed.
The US Open champion said that his coach Nicolás Massú experienced “the terrible attack” very closely, as he was dining in a restaurant near the scene of the crime, an area in which the attacker fired an automatic weapon indiscriminately at passers-by and diners from bars and venues, killing four people and wounding about twenty before being shot down by police.
“Suddenly life in Austria came to a standstill,” recalls Thiem, who is also concerned about the epidemiological situation in his country, with a sharp increase in infections that has led the authorities to impose a second partial confinement with the prohibition of the public in all sporting events.
Nevertheless, Thiem announces that he is going to London in good spirits. “On Wednesday I am already flying with my mini-team. The last goal of 2020, the memories of last year are good,” he said.