Maradona's doctor appears to testify before the prosecution

Diego Armando Maradona died at the age of 60 after suffering a decompensation at his home on Wednesday, November 25, 2020.

Leopoldo Luque, doctor of Diego Armando Maradona, he appeared to testify this Monday spontaneously at the San Isidro prosecutor’s office, after on Sunday his office and house were searched by order of the Justice and after ensuring that he did “the best” he could for the ex-footballer.

Luque arrived at the San Isidro courts together with his lawyer, Julio Rivas, to declare spontaneously before the prosecutors who are investigating the circumstances in which Maradona’s death occurred, although sources from the Public Ministry pointed out this Sunday to Efe that the also neurosurgeon “is not formally charged” in the case.

Rivas gave a series of statements to the press where he explained that the idea was for the doctor to appear at the Prosecutor’s Office and make himself “available”, to repeat everything that Luque had declared yesterday Sunday and answer the questions of the prosecutors.

“A statement from the Prosecutor’s Office came out that there were no defendants, but yesterday they raided it,” said Rivas, referring to the searches ordered by the Justice and carried out in Luque’s house and office.

“For me he is accused because they raided him, but I do not have the record of the accusation, so I cannot say,” he added.

Meanwhile, shortly before 9 o’clock, Maradona Matías Morla’s lawyer defended Luque through a tweet: “I understand and share the prosecution’s work, but only I know, Dr. Luque, what you did for Diego’s health, how you took care of him, accompanied you and how he loved you. Diego loved you and as his friend I am not going to leave you alone. You left blood, sweat and tears and the truth always triumphs “.

Morla himself, last Thursday, affirmed that he would ask to investigate the death of the star because it was “inexplicable that for 12 hours” he had not had “attention or control by the health personnel dedicated to these ends” and the ambulance “took more than half an hour to arrive “.


In yesterday’s search, cell phones, computers and Maradona’s medical records were seized.

Rivas repeated that Luque “was a friend of Maradona,” not his personal physician. “Those who were next to Maradona know what happened and what Luque’s activity was. He operated on a neurosurgery and it came out perfect,” he said.

“They talk about a team, there was no home hospitalization, it was expensive. The decision was Maradona’s. He was lucid, conscious and could decide what he wanted,” he said.

Maradona, who suffered from alcohol addiction problems, was admitted to a clinic in La Plata on November 2 due to anemia and dehydration and a day later to a healer in Olivos, where shortly after arriving he was operated on for a subdural hematoma in the head.

On the 11th, he received a medical discharge and moved to a house in a private neighborhood on the outskirts of Buenos Aires where he died last Wednesday of cardiac arrest.

“If I am responsible for Diego for something, it was to love him, to take care of him, to extend his life and improve it to the last. I am responsible for that. I did the impossible for that,” Luque declared yesterday, through tears.

He explained that to intern Maradona in a psychiatric hospital or subject him to rehabilitation without his consent, a judicial procedure was required that could only have been done if it established with “medical and psychiatric criteria” that he was “insane.”

Luque stressed that in the death of the soccer star “there was no medical error” and said that “Diego had a fortuitous event, a heart attack that, in a patient with his characteristics, is the most common in the world.”