Daniil Medvedev defeated Filip Krajinovic in a five-set battle for the third round of the Australian Open and reached the round of 16 of the tournament. It was 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 3-6 and 6-0 for the Russian, who will face the North American Mackenzie McDonald for a place in the quarterfinals.
At a press conference, when asked about Novak Djokovic’s injury in his match against Taylor Fritz, the Russian said: “I went to sleep in the middle of the fourth set, because I had a game early, around 11.30, and I thought I was going to lose. ” However, he praised the quality of the Serbian and made it clear: “I was surprised when I saw that he won. That’s why he has 18 Grand Slams, that’s why he’s amazing.”
The 4th in the world, in addition, made reference to his work and the aspects to take into account to try to continue climbing in the ATP ranking. “The only way is to win the big tournaments”, Medvedev argued and concluded: “If you look at the Top 4, we are still in the frame, so unless you make the final or win, you don’t go up, especially with the points you don’t lose.”.
The virtual chat with reporters exploded into laughter when the recent ATP Cup champion was asked about his diet. Despite being very skinny, he commented: “Many people when they see me eat they say ‘I’ve never seen someone eat so much'” and I add “I like sugar … I don’t eat during the tournament and I have five cakes in my room.”
Against Krajinovic, Medvedev managed to cut an adverse streak of matches to five sets. It is the sixth that he disputes in his career, although only the first in which he takes the victory. The previous five were before:
– Ruben bemelmans in the second round of Wimbledon 2017. It was 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 2-6 and 6-3 for the Belgian.
– Adrian mannarino in the third round of Wimbledon 2018. The result: 6-4, 6-3, 4-6, 5-7 and 6-3 in favor of the Frenchman.
– Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the first round of Roland Garros 2019. 4-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 and 7-5 lost the 12th seed.
– David goffin in the first round of Wimbledon 2019. The Belgian won 4-6, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 and 7-5.
– At the end of US Open 2019, Rafael Nadal He was his executioner and defeated him 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6 and 6-4.
– Stanislas Wawrinka hit in the eighths of Australian Open 2020. 6-2, 2-6, 4-6, 7-6 and 6-2 in favor of the three-time champion of a Grand Slam tournament.