Change in the elite. Daniil Medvedev achieved the only rise in the Top 10 of the ATP world rankings of the week, by surpassing Dominic Thiem and getting on the podium for the first time, being now No. 3 from the listing. The Russian made it possible thanks to his great performance at the Australian Open, where he reached the final, which he lost to the leader of the classification, the Serbian Novak Djokovic.
For Medvedev, Australia 2021 will be remembered for having entered a Grand Slam final for the second time. He could not in the US Open 2019 in the definition of five sets against the Spanish Rafael Nadal and in this case he yielded in three sets at the hands of Djokovic, the king of Melbourne.
Medvedev, 25, then advanced for the first time in his professional career to one of the top three places in the ranking, to fall behind King Djokovic and his guard Nadal. The Russian displaced Austrian Dominic Thiem from No. 3 on the list, who gave up many points, as he just fell in the Australia 2020 final against the Serbian.
Djokovic achieved the record of nine titles in that Grand Slam, winning all his finals there, to reach 18 cups in the Grand Slam and put two of the historical record, held by the Swiss Roger Federer and Nadal, with 20.
The change cited on the podium was the only one in the entire ATP Top 10. Meanwhile, Argentine Diego Schwartzman continues to be the best Latin American, ranked ninth in the standings.
ATP WORLD RANKING:
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB) (=) 12,030 points
2. Rafael Nadal (ESP) (=) 9,850
3. Daniil Medvedev (RUS) (+1) 9,735
4. Dominic Thiem (AUT) (-1) 9.125
5. Roger Federer (SUI) (=) 6,630
6. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) (=) 6,595
7. Alexander Zverev (GER) (=) 5.615
8. Andrey Rublev (RUS) (=) 4,609
9. Diego Schwartzman (ARG) (=) 3,480
10. Matteo Berrettini (ITA) (=) 3,480
THE OTHER LATIN AMERICANS IN THE TOP 100:
22. Christian Garín (CHI) (=) 2,180
45. Guido Pella (ARG) (-1) 1,310
73. Pablo Cuevas (URU) (-1) 962
74. Thiago Monteiro (BRA) (=) 929
84. Federico Delbonis (ARG) (-4) 851
88. Juan Ignacio Londero (ARG) (-5) 832
95. Federico Coria (ARG) (-3) 790