The Pumas are among the definitive candidates for the 2021 Laureus Awards, which in this year’s edition will be announced in May and delivered virtually, without the usual gala, due to the covid-19 pandemic.
After his huge victory against the All Blacks in the 2020 Three Nations, and the two draws with Australia in the same tournament, the team led by Mario Ledesma earned a place on the prestigious list of recognitions.
In the best team chapter, the South African Springboks will be relieved by the Argentine rugby team, Bayern Munich (soccer), the Kansas City Chiefs (American football), Liverpool (Soccer), Los Angeles Lakers (basketball) or Mercedes Petronas (Formula One), definitive candidates.
Among other figures, there are Nadal who is one of the six definitive candidates for best athlete of the year, an award he already received in 2011, an edition in which the award for the best team went to the Spanish soccer team after being proclaimed world champion in South Africa 2010 .
Therefore, the Balearic tennis player aspires to relieve the Argentine Leo Messi and the British Lewis Hamilton, since both were declared winners. The Formula One world champion is again included among the candidates along with the Ugandan athlete Joshua Cheptegei, the Swedish supporter Armand Duplantis, the Polish striker of Bayern Munich, Robert Lewandowski, and the NBA star Lebron James of the Los Angeles Lakers .
– Candidates for best male athlete: Joshua Cheptegei (UGA / Athletics), Armand Duplantis (SWE / Athletics), Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Formula One), Lebron James (USA / Basketball), Robert Lewandowski (POL / Soccer) and Rafael Nadal (ESP / Tennis).
– Candidates for best female athlete: Anna van der Breggen (NED / Cycling), Federica Brignone (ITA / Alpine Skiing), Brigid Kosgei (KEN / Athletics), Naomi Osaka (JPN / Tennis), Wendie Renard (FRA / Football), Breanna Stewart (USA / Basketball)
– Candidates for best team: Argentine rugby team, Bayern Munich (football), Kansas City Chiefs (American football), Liverpool (Football), Los Angeles Lakers (basketball), Mercedes Petronas (Formula One)
– Candidates for disclosure: Ansu Fati (ESP / Football), Patrick Mahomes (USA / American Football), Joan Mir (ESP / Motorcycling), Tadej Pogacar (SLO / Cycling), Iga Swiatek (POL / Tennis) and Dominic Thiem (AUT / Tennis)
– Candidates for the best comeback: Daniel Bard (USA / Baseball), Kento Momota (JPN / Badminton), Alex Morgan (USA / Football), Max Parrot (CAN / Snowboard), Mikaela Shiffrin (USA / Alpine Skiing) and Alex Smith (USA / American Football)
– Candidates for the ‘Sport for Good’ award (sport for development programs): Boxgirls Kenya, Kickformore (Germany) and Colombianitos Foundation
?ICYMI … here’s a reminder of all of the nominees for the 2021 Laureus World Sports Awards
? Who should the Laureus Academy Members pick as the Award winners? # Laureus21
– Laureus (@LaureusSport) February 24, 2021