MADRID – The Royal Spanish Soccer Federation (RFEF) announced this Thursday that there will be no public in the final of the Copa del Rey 2020 that will face Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad on April 3 at the La Cartuja stadium in Seville, after agree with the government that their determination to open the doors was risky.
Just 24 hours after the federation itself showed undeniable optimism about opening the stadium to 20 percent of its capacity for fans in the final between the two Basque teams, the negative reaction of the Spanish government caused this immediate rectification , without going to assess Javier Tebas’s announcement regarding allowing fans to access the final part of the League.
In a statement, the RFEF confirmed the agreement reached in this regard with the Ministry of Health and Families of the Junta de Andalucía, with which it has maintained contact in recent weeks, and pointed out that “the fact that the fans cannot move and go to the Cartuja stadium “so that the game” takes place without the attendance of the public in the stands of the La Cartuja stadium.
“The current epidemic situation and the established measures that entail the perimeter closure of mobility, both for the autonomous community of Andalusia, and for the province of Seville, make it unfeasible for fans not residing in the province to attend this meeting. all this has been reported to both clubs, which have communicated that they would abide by any decision of the RFEF, “he explained.
However, the RFEF holds the meeting called for this afternoon to address aspects related to the match with the finalist clubs and representatives of the Junta de Andalucía and the Superior Sports Council (CSD).
In its statement the RFEF pointed out that in the meetings held with the board previously “the health care situation and current epidemiological data in Seville have been analyzed, communicating the health administration that holding said meeting with an influx of public would mean the qualification of moderate epidemic risk from COVID-19, which allowed the attendance of a limited capacity “.
He also recalled that in agreement with the finalist clubs, last year he postponed the celebration of the final “with the aim of aspiring to the final being held with the assistance of both fans.”
“Under this premise, the Royal Spanish Football Federation has always worked within the strictest framework of compliance with the decisions of the health authorities, always being sensitive to their recommendations,” added the body.
Yesterday, after the publication of information about the possible presence of the public in the final, the Minister of Health, Carolina Darias, said that “it is not possible, adequate, timely or convenient.”
Darias spoke like this at the end of the Interterritorial Health Council, in which all the autonomous councilors expressed their concern about the celebration of this act with a capacity of more than 10,000 people.