It’s not one more monday for Andrey Rublev. The Russian, one of the players in the best shape since the return from the official circuit after the stoppage due to the pandemic, took another firm step. He was the executioner of Rafael Nadal in Monte-Carlo, he climbed to the final and thus achieved his best position in the ATP ranking, as he displaced Roger Federer and placed No. 7 in the world.
At 23, Rublev is still hot. He gave a great blow in the Principality of Monaco, by eliminating Nadal in the quarterfinals, the historic king of slow courts, owner of 11 titles in that contest, then he settled in the definition, but fell to the Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas, N ° 5 of the classification. That great week earned him a place on the list.
Winner of an ATP title this season, he could not get the second, which would have been the most important of his career, because it was a Masters 1000. Still, he added enough to be able to overcome Federer by just almost 100 points.
That change was the only one this week among the top 10 in the ranking. Serbian Novak Djokovic continues as No. 1, while Russian Daniil Medvedev and Nadal complete the podium. Meanwhile, Tsitsipas, champion in Monte-Carlo, kept his 5th place but increased his score thanks to the 1000 points of the title.
Among Latin Americans, Argentine Diego Schwartzman is No. 9 and Chilean Cristian Garin managed to rise two positions to rank 22nd on the international list.
ATP WORLD RANKING:
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB) (=) 11,873 points
2. Daniil Medvedev (RUS) (=) 9,850
3. Rafael Nadal (ESP) (=) 9,490
4. Dominic Thiem (AUT) (=) 8.615
5. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) (=) 7,860
6. Alexander Zverev (GER) (=) 6.070
7. Andrey Rublev (RUS) (+1) 5,955
8. Roger Federer (SUI) (-1) 5,875
9. Diego Schwartzman (ARG) (=) 3,720
10. Matteo Berrettini (ITA) (=) 3.453
THE OTHER LATIN AMERICANS IN THE TOP 100:
22. Cristian Garin (CHI) (+2) 2,340
50. Guido Pella (ARG) (-2) 1,208
76. Thiago Monteiro (BRA) (+1) 948
83. Pablo Cuevas (URU) (-8) 919
84. Federico Delbonis (ARG) (+3) 919
90. Federico Coria (ARG) (=) 875
97. Juan Ignacio Londero (ARG) (-3) 813