Juventus, Milan and Inter, the three Italian clubs among the twelve founders of the European Super League, announced this Wednesday their resignation from the current competition project, recognizing that at this time the conditions are not in place to carry it forward with the intended format.
If Inter and Milan were forceful in their statements, justifying the decision in their “commitment” to the fans, who were very opposed to the project, Juventus admitted that his resignation was forced by the abandonment of other founding partners.
After the revolution led by England on Tuesday, with the resignation of the six clubs participants, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur the branch of Italy also began to throw in the towel.
Inter Milan, who had already filtered his serious doubts last morning, was the first to announce his position: “FC Internazionale Milan confirms that the Club is no longer part of the Superliga project”, said its official note.
“We are always committed to giving fans the best football experience, innovation and inclusion have been part of our DNA since we were born. Our commitment to stakeholders to improve football will never change,” added the “Nerazzurri” team.
The “tifosi”, the fans, were also the center of the Milan statement, which appeared a few minutes after the Interistas.
“We accept the invitation to participate in the Super League project with the genuine desire to create the best possible European competition for fans around the world, to defend the interests of the Clubs and our fans. Change is not easy, but evolution is necessary to grow “, reads the official note.
“But the concerns of fans around the world regarding the Super League project were strong and clear. And our club must be attentive and sensitive to the opinion of those who love this wonderful sport,” underlines the statement.
The two clubs had received the resounding support of the Italian sports world, manifested in particular by the sports press and the coaches of several clubs excluded from the Super League.
“It’s a coup in the stadium. I would rather not play against Milan,” said Roberto De Zerbi, Sassuolo coach, on Tuesday, commenting on the appointment that his club has this Wednesday against the “rossonero” box.
Some Juventus fans also hung a banner on Tuesday night at the Allianz Stadium, the home of Andrea Pirlo’s team, lamenting the club’s decision.
While, from Spain came the news of the resignation of Atlético Madrid, which also convinced Juventus to publish an official note to acknowledge the impossibility of continuing with this project.
“(Juventus) highlights that it is aware of the request of some clubs to abandon the project (of the Super League), although the necessary procedures provided for by the agreement between the clubs have not yet been completed,” the statement read.
“In this context, Juventus, despite remaining convinced of the sporting, commercial and legal value of the project, believes that at this time it presents limited possibilities of being carried out in the format in which it had been thought,” adds the note.
Yes indeed, The three Italian clubs remain firm in their opinion that football needs to be remodeled to adapt it to the needs of the new era.
Statement on the Super League project: https://t.co/8mCFL5uWGW pic.twitter.com/uY5bTzrOCA
– JuventusFC (@juventusfces) April 21, 2021