The Laureus Awards and in the 2021 edition, Los Pumas were one of the nominees to win the Best Team of the Year award. However, this Thursday the winner was known: the German soccer team, Bayern Munich.
After his huge victory against the All Blacks in the 2020 Three Nations, and the two draws with Australia in the same tournament, the team led by Mario Ledesma earned a place on the prestigious list of recognitions.
In that area, the Springboks won that award last year and the nominees for this year, in addition to Los Pumas and Bayern Munich (football), were Kansas City Chiefs (American Football), Liverpool (Football), Los Angeles Lakers (basketball) and Mercedes Petronas (Formula One).
In the rest of the categories, these were the nominees and winners:
– Candidates for best male athlete: Joshua Cheptegei (UGA / Athletics), Armand Duplantis (SWE / Athletics), Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Formula One), Lebron James (USA / Basketball), Robert Lewandowski (POL / Soccer) and Rafael Nadal (ESP / Tennis). Winner: Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Formula One)
– Candidates for best female athlete: Anna van der Breggen (NED / Cycling), Federica Brignone (ITA / Alpine Skiing), Brigid Kosgei (KEN / Athletics), Naomi Osaka (JPN / Tennis), Wendie Renard (FRA / Football), Breanna Stewart (USA / Basketball) . Winner: Naomi Osaka (JPN / Tennis)
– Candidates for best team: Argentine rugby team, Bayern Munich (football), Kansas City Chiefs (American Football), Liverpool (Football), Los Angeles Lakers (basketball), Mercedes Petronas (Formula One). Winner: Bayern Munich (soccer),
– Candidates for disclosure: Ansu Fati (ESP / Football), Patrick Mahomes (USA / American Football), Joan Mir (ESP / Motorcycling), Tadej Pogacar (SLO / Cycling), Iga Swiatek (POL / Tennis) and Dominic Thiem (AUT / Tennis). Winner: Patrick Mahomes (USA / American Football)
– Candidates for the best comeback: Daniel Bard (USA / Baseball), Kento Momota (JPN / Badminton), Alex Morgan (USA / Football), Max Parrot (CAN / Snowboard), Mikaela Shiffrin (USA / Alpine Skiing) and Alex Smith (USA / American Football)
– Candidates for the ‘Sport for Good’ award (sport for development programs): Boxgirls Kenya, Kickformore (Germany) and Colombianitos Foundation
– Inspiration Award Winner: Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Soccer)
👀ICYMI … here’s a reminder of all of the nominees for the 2021 Laureus World Sports Awards
🏆 Who should the Laureus Academy Members pick as the Award winners? # Laureus21
– Laureus (@LaureusSport) February 24, 2021