The group stage of the CONMEBOL Libertadores and the 16 teams that will seek eternal glory in the most prestigious tournament in South America are already known.
ARE HERE! THESE ARE! Those qualified for the round of 16 of the #LIBERTADORESxESPN: from here comes the champion. The raffle will take place on Tuesday, June 1. Who is your candidate? pic.twitter.com/XQzK7rAnhb
– SportsCenter (@SC_ESPN) May 28, 2021
Next, a review of the first and second seconds of each area for the draw of a final phase that promises to be exciting.
THE FIRST IN THEIR GROUPS
The reigning champion quickly qualified on date 4 by winning all their Group A matches. Then he fell 4-3 in a great game against his guard Defense and Justice and closed the group with a 6-0 victory against Universitario, his second biggest win. at the pageant.
With the goalless draw at home against Always Ready on the last date, Miguel Ángel Ramírez’s team secured first place in Group B. They reaped 10 points as a result of 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses, with 12 goals in favor and 5 goals against.
BARCELONA SC (ECUADOR)
For the first time in the 21st century, he reached the last 16 after winning all three of his home games. In addition, he achieved his third consecutive victory against Santos (the first at home). Group C closed with 13 points, the product of 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss, with 10 goals for 3 against.
Thanks to the historic 3-1 victory at the Monumental Stadium, Flu snatched the leadership of Group D from River Plate. Those led by Roger Machado finished with 11 points after 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, with 10 goals for and 7 against.
RACING CLUB (ARGENTINA)
The set of Juan Antonio Pizzi got into 8th. on date 5, nothing less than with the first triumph of an Argentine team against San Pablo in Morumbí. And in his win against Rentistas, with a triplet by Tomás Chancalay, he finished with 14 points and secured 1st place in Group E in his 100th game in the Libertadores.
ARGENTINOS JUNIORS (ARGENTINA)
At the end of date 4, the Bug secured his ticket to 8vos. thanks to the advantage achieved with their first three games won. They led Group F with 12 points, after 4 wins and 2 losses, with 7 goals for and 3 against.
The Mengao equalized without goals at home against their persecutor Vélez Sarsfield on the last date and took first place in Group G. The 2019 Libertadores champion totaled 12 points, with 3 wins and 2 draws, 14 goals in favor and 9 in against.
ATLÉTICO MINEIRO (BRAZIL)
They were the best team in the group stage: 16 points, with 5 wins and 1 draw, 15 goals for and just 3 goals against. Cuca’s team has the top scorer of the contest: Hulk (6 goals).
THE SECONDS IN THEIR GROUPS
DEFENSE AND JUSTICE (ARGENTINA)
El Halcón advanced to date 5 due to their 4-3 triumph over champion Palmeiras in Brazil. They closed their participation in Group A with 9 points, the product of 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss, with 11 goals in favor and 8 against.
The shocking 6-2 over Deportivo Táchira on the last day gave him a ticket to the next instance. The Dean finished with 9 points in Group B, after 3 wins and 3 losses, with 13 goals for and 14 against.
BOCA JUNIORS (ARGENTINA)
The 3-0 win against The Strongest at La Bombonera gave him a ticket to 8ths. to Xeneize on the last date of Group C. Miguel Ángel Russo’s team finished as Barcelona SC guard with 10 points (3 wins, 1 draw and two falls).
RIVER PLATE (ARGENTINA)
The Millionaire suffered until the last minute to get his classification in Group D. Due to his defeat at home against Fluminense, he could be eliminated if Junior defeated Santa Fe. That did not happen and the team of Marcelo Gallardo, who suffered an outbreak of contagion of COVID-19, got into the next round as an escort.
SAN PABLO (BRAZIL)
Another great one from the continent that came in second place. The brand new champion of the Paulista Championship won his ticket early, but could not displace Racing from the top of Group E. Those from Crespo added 11 points, with 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss.
CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY (CHILE)
Thanks to the 2-0 against Atlético Nacional on the last date of Group F, he is the only Chilean ambassador in 8ths. of Libertadores and returned to this instance after 10 years. Gustavo Poyet’s team finished with 9 points, the product of 3 wins and 3 losses, with 6 goals for and 6 against.
VÉLEZ SARSFIELD (ARGENTINA)
Mauricio Pellegrino’s team could not win on his visit to Flamengo and finished in 2nd place in Group G. El Fortín added 10 points, after 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.
CERRO PORTEÑO (PARAGUAY)
In the match that defined second place in Group H, the Barça team beat América de Cali 1-0 in La Nueva Olla, with a goal from Enzo Giménez, and finished with 10 points (3 wins, 1 draw and 2 falls) .
Draw Methodology – Round of 16
• In order to determine the rivals of each bracket, two standings will be formed: one among the eight ranked first in their groups (1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H) who will occupy the Bolillero 1 and the second among the eight classified in second place in their groups (positions 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H) who will occupy the Bolillero 2.
• Their placement in each table will give them an order from 1 to 8 for the group winners and from 9 to 16 for the second, according to the performance in the GROUP PHASE.
• The teams with the best performance (lowest numbering in the order from 1 to 16) will define their home matches.
• From Bolillero 2 (teams placed second in the groups) the 8 balls will be extracted that will make up the keys A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H.
• Immediately after the drawing of each ball in ball 2, the balls with the teams that will complete the keys will be drawn from ball 1 (teams located first in the groups), thus defining the crosses for the Eighth Finals.
• The location in the first game will correspond to the teams from Bolillero 2 (teams placed second in the GROUP PHASE). For the following phases, and up to and including the SEMIFINALS, the location of the matches will be subject to the numbering that each team has obtained in the order of location of the GROUP PHASE.
In each bracket, the teams with lower numbers define the second leg at home.
• In this phase, teams from the same country may face each other, as well as those that have already faced each other in the GROUP PHASE of the competition.