The impact of Roland Garros had an official response. Roger Federer’s loss on SundayAfter his marathon clash with the German Dominik Koepfer, he led the Swiss to decide to leave the Grand Slam in Paris to take care of his physique and give priority to Wimbledon. Now Guy Forget, the director of the French tournament, spoke, clarifying that the 20-time Majors champion could not continue in action.
Federer was back in a Grand Slam after nearly 500 days, since the Australian Open in January 2020. In between, he underwent two operations on his right knee and suffered his longest period of inactivity in more than 20 years of his professional career. including the stoppage of last year due to the Covid pandemic.
That loss of the Swiss made him not appear to play on Monday against Italian Matteo Berrettini in the round of 16, with many voices in favor and others against. Now, the official voice of the French Open, that of Forget, served to clarify the situation, in an interview with L’Equipe, in Paris.
“It is very unfair to value Roger’s decision as a lack of respect or a wrong way of acting for the tournament. He was not fit to play and signed a document in which he explained that the discomfort in his knee was the cause of retirement” assured the French.
“We are talking about a legendary champion who is almost 40 years old and has two recent knee surgeries. Roland Garros was an opportunity to rebuild his game. He is in a race against time to recover the best sensations and his priority is Wimbledon. For us it is a great honor that he has come, never disrespectful that he sees our tournament as a platform from which to build his triumphant comeback, “added Forget.
“I saw misplaced comments on social networks, very tense people who complain about nonsense things. Roger did everything according to protocol. He passed the anti-doping control, went to the doctor, spoke with the tournament judges and signed the document in which he stated his discomfort. He knows himself better than anyone and cannot take risks. On Sunday he woke up with discomfort in his knee, “he said.
“In 2022 he will be almost 41 years old and he knows that to be competitive he will have to play some previous tournaments. I think he will decide based on how his body is. If this was his last step at Roland Garros he will have gone without lose a game. All he wants is to show a good version and continue opting to the maximum. I am convinced that he will have a chance of winning at Wimbledon if he manages to reach 100% physically, “said Forget.