He took another leap. The Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka displaced the Japanese Naomi Osaka from the second place and is thus for the first time the N ° 2 of the world ranking of the WTA, which is still led by the Australian Ashleigh Barty, the brand new champion of Cincinnati.
At 23, Sabalenka, owner of great power in her strokes and a lot of determination, continues to seek greater consistency. Even so, he is living a great season, with two titles, and his best Grand Slam result, the semifinals at Wimbledon.
The Belarusian beat Osaka, a former No. 1 and a slower in Cincinnati, on Monday, taking second place in the WTA rankings.
The other change within the Top 10, prior to the arrival of the US Open, the last Major of 2021, was the advancement of Barbora Krejcikova, champion of Roland Garros in singles and figure in doubles with the recent gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics . The Czech went to the Spanish Garbiñe Muguruza of Venezuelan origin from 9th place.
For her part, the American Serena Williams, owner of 23 Grand Slam and a long time at the top of the world, dropped another place and is No. 22 in the ranking. Thus, he lives two weeks in a row outside the Top 20, as has not happened since 2017.
Among the Latin Americans, Argentina’s Nadia Podoroska remains the leader, who maintained 37th place, while the young Colombian Camila Osorio Serrano gave up seven places and was No. 79.
WTA WORLD RANKING:
1. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) (=) 10,185 points
2. Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) (+1) 7,010
3. Naomi Osaka (JPN) (-1) 6,666
4. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) (=) 5,530
5. Sofia Kenin (USA) (=) 5,030
6. Elina Svitolina (UKR) (=) 5,030
7. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) (=) 4.537
8. Iga Swiatek (POL) (=) 4.461
9. Barbora Krejcikova (CZE) (+1) 4,273
10. Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) (-1) 4.210
LATIN AMERICANS IN THE TOP 100:
37. Nadia Podoroska (ARG) (=) 1,787
79. Camila Osorio Serrano (COL) (-7) 1.004