Major League Baseball has extended Trevor Bauer’s administrative license for the eighth time for one more week, a league official told ESPN’s Alden Gonzalez. The license now runs through September 10.
The Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher has been charged with sexual assault by a woman who has said that Bauer strangled her unconscious several times, sodomized her without consent and struck her all over the body over the course of two sexual encounters at his home. from Pasadena, California, on April 22 and May 16, leaving her with injuries that required medical attention.
The Pasadena Police Department concluded its investigation into the assault allegations and turned the case over to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
The District Attorney’s Office will decide now whether to proceed with the case.
The woman obtained a temporary restraining order against Bauer in late June, but last month a Los Angeles Superior Court judge dismissed the woman’s request for a permanent restraining order that ruled that Bauer did not pose an ongoing threat and that her injuries were not the result of anything she did not verbally consent to during what Bauer’s legal team called consensual rough sex.
The woman said the encounters were initially consensual, including a request to be rendered unconscious, as shown in messages between her and Bauer, but stated during lengthy testimony as part of a four-day hearing that Bauer also took it too far.
Bauer, who continues to be paid while on administrative leave, has not pitched for the Los Angeles Dodgers since June 28 and has not been with the team since MLB began its investigation on July 2. MLB, which requires consent from the MLB Players Association each time it extends its administrative license, is not expected to make a decision on a possible suspension until the District Attorney’s Office decides on possible charges.
Bauer, a 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner with the Cincinnati Reds, is the highest paid player in 2021, with a salary close to $ 40 million.
On August 14, the Washington Post ran a story saying that an Ohio woman accused Bauer of beating and suffocating her during sex in their three-year relationship and that she filed a petition for a restraining order last summer, only to have her removed. six weeks later.
Bauer’s attorneys called the woman’s allegations “categorically false” and have strongly denied the most recent assault allegations.
Information from ESPN’s Alden González contributed to this report.