Being Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez the boxer of the moment, many people wonder how many world titles he has won throughout his career.
Canelo seems to be doomed to success. It is the perfect combination of talent and hard work, skill and training responsibility.
On LEFT PUNCH, we list how many world championships he has won Saul Alvarez, and we will analyze your professional record.
Canelo Álvarez and his world titles
In total, there are 12 world championship belts that he has managed to conquer Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez as a professional boxer.
- WBC super welterweight. It was a vacant championship. He wins it on March 5, 2011 by unanimous decision to Matthew Hatton. He makes six defenses, and loses it by majority decision to Floyd Mayweather on September 14, 2013.
- WBA super welterweight. He wins it in unification with the champion Austin trout on April 2, 2013 by unanimous decision. Loses it with Floyd mayweather on September 14, 2013 by majority decision.
- WBC middleweight. It was a vacant championship. He wins it on November 21, 2015 by unanimous decision to Miguel Cotto. Makes a defense. Canelo vacates the title in May 2016.
- WBO super welterweight. He wins it by knocking out the champion Liam smith on September 17, 2016. He made no defenses and vacated it at the end of 2017.
- Medium weight AMB. He wins it by majority decision to the champion Gennady Golovkin on September 15, 2018. He makes a defense. He leaves it vacant in January 2021.
- WBC middleweight. Recover the title that had been vacated. He wins it by majority decision to the champion Gennady Golovkin on September 15, 2018. He makes a defense. The CMB names him “franchise champion” in June 2019 and removes the regular belt.
- WBA super middleweight regular version. He wins it on December 15, 2018 by knocking out the champion Rocky fielding to stay with the championship of the AMB at 168 pounds in its regular version.
- Average weight FIB. He wins it by unanimous decision in unification against the champion Daniel jacobs on May 4, 2019. He does not make defenses. The FIB removes the title from him in August 2019 for not facing the mandatory challenger Sergiy Derevyanchenko.
- WBO light heavyweight. He wins it on November 2, 2019 by knocking out the champion Sergey Kovalev.
- Super middleweight WBC. It was a vacant championship. He wins it by unanimous decision against Callum smith on December 19, 2020. He makes two defenses.
- WBA super middleweight super version. He wins it by unanimous decision to the champion Callum smith on December 19, 2020. He makes two defenses.
- WBO super middleweight. He wins it by knocking out the champion in unification Billy joe saunders on May 8, 2021.
He will fight in unification against the super middle champion of the IBF, Caleb Plant, on November 6, 2021.
Canelo, world champion in four divisions
The Canelo Alvarez He has been a world champion in four different weight divisions:
- Super welterweight (154 pounds)
- Medium (160 pounds)
- Super middleweight (168 pounds)
- Semi heavy (175 pounds)
Canelo Álvarez’s rivals for his world titles
Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez He has faced several tough nuts to crack, in search of the accolades that he can hold today. With three of them (Trout, Jacobs and Saunders), the Canelo Alvarez he has won unification fights.
- 03-05-2011, he beat Matthew hatton by unanimous decision.
- 04-20-2013, he beat Austin trout by unanimous decision in unification.
- 11-21-2015, he beat Miguel Cotto by unanimous decision.
- 09-17-2016, he beat Liam smith by knockout.
- 09-15-2018, he beat Gennady Golovkin by majority decision.
- 12-15-2018, he beat Rocky fielding by knockout.
- 04-05-2019, he beat Daniel jacobs by unanimous decision in unification.
- 02-11-2019, he beat Sergey Kovalev by knockout.
- 12-19-2020, he beat Callum smith by unanimous decision.
- 05-08-2021, he beat Billy joe saunders by technical knockout in unification.
- 06-11-2021, will face Caleb Plant, in search of the super medium title of the FIB.
Canelo Álvarez’s only loss in world title fights
Impressively, Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez He carries with him an astonishing professional record, with 56 wins, 38 by knockout, one loss and two draws.
That only setback Saul Alvarez had it before the invincible Floyd Mayweather Jr, with two scepters of the world at stake.
Said belts were worn Canelo in his possession when possibly the most resounding opportunity of his career came to him.
That night, September 14, 2013, Alvarez He did not measure up at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, and underwent a boxing class.
Mayweather He imposed his methods, his times and distances, in addition to various conditions in the previous evening.
Once the result is finalized, Money was made with the super welterweight belts of the World Boxing Association and the World Boxing Council.
Other championships harvested by Canelo Álvarez
In addition to world scepters, Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez He has managed to win championships of another type and other belts.
- World Boxing Association, qualification Fedecentro welterweight, 2008.
- North American Boxing Federation, welterweight title, 2009.
- World Boxing Organization, Latin welterweight title, 2009.
- World Boxing Council, junior welterweight title, 2009.
- World Boxing Council, silver super welterweight title, 2010.