A player who assaulted a referee in Brazil was arrested and charged with attempted murder

A player who assaulted a referee in Brazil was arrested and charged with attempted murder

A soccer player was arrested and charged with attempted murder for the violent kick he gave a referee in the neck, in a match in the second division of the state of Rio Grande do Sul, which left the referee unconscious.

Willian Ribeiro, forward of Sao Paulo de Río Grande, was arrested by the police in the early hours of this Tuesday after the incident that forced the suspension of the match between his team and Guaraní played in Venancio Aires, a municipality in the interior of the southern state. from Rio Grande do Sul.

The event occurred in the 14th minute of the second half, when the aggressor argued with the referee about a foul that he allegedly suffered and that was not penalized.

Ribeiro will have to answer criminally for attempted murder for the kick he gave referee Rodrigo Crivellaro to the neck, whom he attacked when he was already lying on the grass after having pushed him violently after a first blow.

The video of the attack has become viral on social networks in Brazil.

Crivellaro, who lost consciousness, had to be removed by ambulance from the Edmundo Feix stadium and taken to a municipal hospital, where his health was classified as stable on Tuesday morning.

Ribeiro will have to remain in a penitentiary while the Justice decides whether to confirm his preventive detention or to allow him to respond to the process in freedom.

“The attack was very strong, violent, and on the head of the referee, which made him faint and was taken to the hospital, so he can be framed for attempted murder,” explained Vinicius Assunçao, commissioner of the Civil Police of Venancio Aires.

“The victim also had no defense conditions. He had already been beaten when he was standing and then fell and was unable to defend himself. He could have died or even suffered a serious brain injury,” he added.

The Sao Paulo de Río Grande club condemned what happened in a statement and announced the immediate termination of the detained footballer’s contract.

The Rio Grande do Sul State Soccer Federation regretted what happened and said that the case will also be tried by the Sports Court.

Ribeiro, 30, already had a history of violence on the playing fields.

The striker, who started a career in the youth divisions of Internacional de Porto Alegre and has played for several clubs in the second division of Rio Grande do Sul, was sent off in a match in 2014 for punching an opponent in a match between the Guaraní, in which he was active at that time, and Pelotas.

He was also accused of assaulting a fan in an off-court episode.

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
confused confused
fail fail
fun fun
geeky geeky
love love
lol lol
omg omg
win win