Maye claims to be committed to the team and wants to continue for several more years
FLORHAM PARK, NJ – Despite a recent tweet from their agent suggesting they are open to negotiation, New York Jets safety Marcus Maye said Thursday that he wants to stay with the team – a sentiment he shares with the team. Jets executives.
“They know I want to be here,” he said. Maye. “They know that I am 100% with the boys.”
The trade limit for the NFL is November 2, and Maye’s name is floating in the air. The Jets (1-4) are on the verge of being out of contention, and there are questions about whether they want to sign him to a long-term extension. 28-year-old Maye plays for a $ 10.6 million franchise tag.
Days after the ankle injury in Week 3, Maye’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, tweeted that it would be a three- to four-week injury, adding that Maye would be healthy for the transfer limit. That added fuel to speculation.
Maye, spoke to reporters for the first time since then, and that she had no control over what her agent tweets, noting that it was just an update on her injury.
He emphasized that he will not – and will not ask for – a trade request. He wants to stay with the Jets, the team that drafted him in the second round in 2017.
“Yes, of course, I am here,” he said. Maye, who wanted a contract last offseason that would have made him one of the highest-paid safeties in the league. “Every time I’m in this building, I’m 100%. Every time I’m in the field, I’m 100%. I’ll be with the guys no matter what.”
Maye, who has missed two games through injury, is set to return to the lineup Sunday against the New England Patriots (2-4) at Gillette Stadium.
His long-term future could be affected by pending charges for impaired driving following an arrest on February 22 in Broward County, Florida. Without obeying league rules, Maye did not report the incident to the Jets. They didn’t find out until October 4, when ESPN reported it for the first time.
When asked if the coach Robert Saleh was shocked by the arrest, Maye said: “Everyone was, but we talked and moved on.”
Maye stressed that she is “not allowed” to comment on the case. He also declined to comment on why he kept it from the organization for seven months, which could influence whether he is punished by the NFL. The league office is reviewing the matter and may decide to suspend it. Maye doesn’t think she has fractured her relationship with the organization.
“They know me. Once I’m in the building, I focus. I don’t think there’s a trust issue on my part and things like that. They know I’m 100% with these guys every time I walk onto the field and walk in the field. edifice”.
Saleh said the organization supports Maye, who started a meeting with her coach because it was “the thing for an adult to do, just acknowledge my situation.” That, of course, was after the media reported it. Maye was charged with three misdemeanors: driving under the influence, damaging property and person, and leaving the scene of an accident. There were no injuries, but he is being sued by a woman who alleges Maye collided with her car and caused damage to the vehicle.
Maye claimed to be sorry.
“Oh yeah, definitely,” he said. “The situation happened. I definitely feel sorry for her. I learned… you have to move on.”