The verdict was announced for Karim Benzema after being guilty of complicity in the attempt to chantjae Mathie Valbuena and before this we review the case
Real Madrid and France National Team footballer Karim Benzema was found guilty of complicity in the attempt to blackmail his former teammate Mathieu Valbuena.
ESPN Digital invites you to review the chronology of the Benzema case, a situation that kept ‘Gato’ away from the national team for more than five years and marked the professional career of the merengue attacker
– October 8, 2015. Benzema is the starter in a friendly played in Nice against Armenia. In the 4-0 win, he scores two goals and assists Antoine Griezmann.
– October 13, 2015. The scandal about an alleged blackmail of the French international Mathieu Valbuena is made public, who they asked for money in exchange for not spreading some videos with sexual content, and they put Djibril Cissé into police custody for allegedly inciting Valbuena to pay. Cissé is free.
– November 5, 2015. A day after a relative of Benzema was questioned, the Real Madrid player appears before a Versailles judge. The forward is charged and is under judicial control. That same day Deschamps leaves him out of the call for friendlies against Germany and England.
– 6/7 November 2015. There are demonstrations of support for Benzema, from Real Madrid to the French Football Federation itself.
– November 27, 2015. Valbuena charges against Benzema, who allegedly asked him to negotiate with the blackmailers. “I would not do that to my worst enemy. His words show a lack of respect. I respect everyone, but here I have the feeling that he took me for a fool. I cannot defend the indefensible,” Valbuena said in an interview with ‘ Le Monde ‘.
– December 1, 2015. The case acquires national repercussions. The then Prime Minister Manuel Valls defends that an “athlete who is not exemplary” should not represent France.
– December 10, 2015. The French Football Federation suspends the player until his judicial situation is clarified.
-March 31, 2016. A poll indicates that 73% of the French do not want Benzema to return to the national team.
– April 13, 2016. The French Football Federation announces that Benzema will not play the Eurocup that year, which was played in France.
– June 1, 2016. Benzema, of Algerian origin, is very critical of the coach, of which he affirms in some statements that “he has bowed to the pressure of a racist part of France”.
– May 17, 2018. Deschamps announces the call for the World Cup in Russia. Benzema is still absent, with Griezmann and Mbappé as great references in the attack. France is proclaimed world champion.
– January 16, 2021. Deschamps says he still does not forgive the accusations of racism by Benzema. “I can’t forget it,” he told RTL radio. In successive statements during the following months, he avoids talking about whether he will summon the Madrid forward.
– March 30, 2021. A court in Versailles sets the trial date against Benzema, which will be held from October 20 to 21 this year.
-October 22, 2021. Benzema does not appear at the Versailles Correctional Court and his lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, tells EFE that the footballer was “surprised and scandalized” by the prosecution’s claims.
-November 24, 2021. The Correctional Court of Versailles finds Karim guilty and the sentence of one year in prison suspended. The Frenchman will have to pay a fine of 84 thousand dollars.
• With information from EFE