Conor McGregor says he will be cleared to start training in April

Conor McGregor, for the first time, gave fans an idea of ​​the date of his return to the Octagon.

The former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion tweeted Saturday that he will get the go-ahead to return to MMA sparring in April. And after that, McGregor wrote, “a comeback will be imminent.”

The superstar fractured the tibula and fibula in his left leg against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 on July 10.

“I will be in the middle of a mixed martial arts match in April”, tweeted McGregor. “Easily! By then a return will be imminent. But I must be patient. I’m going to get through this!”

McGregor, 33, lost that fight to Poirier through medical stoppage at the end of the first round. He was then taken to Los Angeles for surgery to repair his broken leg. McGregor said she had multiple stress fractures to her leg coming into the Poirier fight and was already compromised before she even set foot in the cage.

Following his return, McGregor, the biggest box office attraction in UFC history, hopes to challenge whoever the UFC lightweight champion is, he tweeted last week. And that could be Poirier, who faces champion Charles Oliveira in the main event of UFC 269 on December 11 in Las Vegas.

“I’ll take on whoever has that LW title next,” McGregor wrote on November 22. “Deal with it.”

Irishman McGregor (22-6) went 0-2 in 2021 against Poirier, including a second-round TKO loss at UFC 257 in January. “The Notorious” has just one win since 2016, a first-round TKO of Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone at UFC 246 in January 2020. McGregor became the first fighter to hold two UFC titles in two weight classes. different at the same time when he knocked out Eddie. Álvarez at UFC 205 in November 2016.