Source: Pirates and receiver Roberto Pérez agree to 1-year contract

PITTSBURGH – Puerto Rican wide receiver Roberto Perez and the Pittsburgh Pirates have agreed to a one-year contract, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

The deal is worth $ 5 million, a source told the Associated Press and is dependent on Perez passing a physical.

Perez, 32, won Gold Gloves in 2019 and 2020 with the Cleveland, but struggled at the plate throughout his career, hitting just .149 with seven home runs and 17 RBIs in 44 games in 2021. The Guardians declined their $ 7 million option for 2022.

Pérez will replace Jacob Stallings, a 2021 Gold Glove winner who was traded to Miami on Monday for reliever Zach Thompson and a pair of prospects.

Pérez is a year older and considerably more expensive than Stallings, but the Pirates were able to trade Stallings, which was under the team’s control until 2024, for minor leagues, the main focus of the franchise’s full restart process under general manager Ben. Cherington.

The trade left Pittsburgh, at least temporarily, without a catcher on the Major League Baseball roster after Michael Perez was transferred to Triple-A Indianapolis last week.

Roberto Pérez will take over as the lead receiver for an ever-changing pitching staff. The Pirates used 17 different starters in 2021 and the rotation is a bit confusing, although Pittsburgh signed veteran left-handed pitcher Jose Quintana on Monday to a one-year deal worth $ 2 million.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.