Diamondbacks announce 2-year deal with All Star closer Mark Melancon

Right-handed reliever Mark Melancon and the Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to a two-year contract Wednesday, the team announced.

Terms were not disclosed, but a source familiar with the deal told ESPN’s Jeff Passan that it is worth $ 14 million.

The contract also includes a mutual option for the 2024 season.

Melancon, who turns 37 in March, led the majors last season with 39 saves for the San Diego Padres.

Overall, he was 4-3 with a 2.33 ERA in 64⅔ innings pitched for San Diego in his first season with the franchise.

He has 244 career saves, fourth among active pitchers.

Arizona didn’t have many advantages to protect last season in the ninth inning. The entire pitching staff combined for 22 saves. Melancon said he thinks that will change quickly.

The veteran pitched against the Diamondbacks, who were division rivals of the Padres in the NL West, eight times last season and said they were a tough group to face.

“It’s hard to see when you just look at the paper, but when you face these guys and try to get them out, it’s a different story,” Melancon said. “I have to see it first hand. I have a lot of confidence in this group. ”

Melancon will almost certainly be the team’s closer.

“He’s a proven man in the bullpen,” Arizona general manager Mike Hazen said. “We talked early in the offseason about wanting to rebuild our bullpen. It was a major problem for us last year. … Getting a guy in this place was important to us.”

The four-time All-Star is 34-30 with a 2.79 ERA in 13 major league seasons for the Pittsburgh Pirates, San Francisco Giants, Atlanta Braves, New York Yankees, Houston Astros, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals and Padres.