Rayo Vallecano vs.  Alavés - Match Report - December 18, 2021

(EFE) – Two goals from Sergi Guardiola and Alejandro Catena, both in the first half, allowed Rayo Vallecano to achieve a new victory in their stadium, the eighth of the season, against Alavés, which is dangerously close to relegation, quite the opposite of the team Madrid, which remains in the European zone.

After the defeat in La Cerámica against Villarreal, where it showed its less sweet side, that of the weak visiting team, Rayo returned to Vallecas, which this season is becoming its particular temple of dreams, to show its best version and to make it clear again that this course there is no one to stop the illusion.

This time Alavés was the eighth victim who left Vallecas empty and who gave up in the Madrid stadium, of which only Celta has been able to scratch a point. The rest, including Barcelona, ​​fell to the knee.

From the beginning, Rayo tried to take the initiative against an Alavés who came out on the pitch with too much fear. The first goal took as long as Oscar Trejo wanted. The Argentine, who is in a state of grace, picked up a ball in the midfield at eighteen minutes and put a pass to the back of the centrals that Álvaro García took advantage of to reach the bottom line on the left and put a cross that Sergi Guardiola , in the small area, he finished on goal.

Only seven minutes later, Trejo threw a corner measured from the right that Alejandro Catena, rising before the defenders of Alavés, finished off with a header on goal.
That second goal was a blow to Alavés, who shortly after was able to concede the third with a shot to the post by Álvaro García in what would be his last action before injuring himself and being replaced by Portuguese Baby.

Alavés, subdued by his rival, only counted a shot with some danger in the first half. It was with a low shot from Joselu that Dimitriveski caught before a break that did not change the spirits of the Vitoria team, although it did improve their offensive performance, especially after the departure of Edgar Méndez.

Despite this, the second half was not as vibrant as the first, in part because Rayo, with the score in their favor, did not want to take risks and tried to slow down the pace of the match.

The exit to the grass of Unai López and Randy Nteka gave another air to Rayo, who returned to intonation with fifteen minutes remaining and counted two arrivals of great danger in a row through Fran García and Isi Palazón. One was neutralized by the Alavés goalkeeper, Fernando Pacheco, and the other went over the crossbar.

With four minutes to go until regulation time, Colombian Radamel Falcao entered the pitch and the joy overflowed.
The fans began to chant ‘Next year Rayo-Liverpool ‘ and the final whistle brought delirium to the stands of Vallecas.